Skip to main content

Jim Jams

Like  most people, when I make my bed I shove my pyjamas under my pillow. This morning I smile as I observe the unevenness of the bed pillows. On my husbands side two pillows sit straight and to attention, on my side the pillows balance precariously, on my stack of pyjamas, threatening to topple off at any moment.

What can I say, I like my Jammies. To me my Jim Jams are part of my emotional and physical support team. They offer me comfort when I need nurturing, they enable me to be free thinking and unobstructed, they say "AAAaaahhhhhh time to let go, relaaaaax!" or "You are free to create!"


It is not uncommon for me to be in my PJ's by 4pm. Sometimes with wine in hand. Not always, but sometimes. PJ's signal letting go. To me they represent true authenticity. Completely unguarded and open. No holding on or digging in. Loose, soft, free.
It is not uncommon for me to stay in my Jam Jams until midday. I love to write in my pyjamas. I love to cook in my pyjamas and sometimes I even sleep in them!

So why the stack? Surely I can't wear them all at once? You'd be surprised. At present my stack consists of my short shorts (my husbands name for them) and a singlet, another singlet (different colour) and 3/4 length cotton pants, long muslin hippy pants (and God bless all the hippies who totally "get"comfort) a 3/4 sleeve, loose fitting top and full length harem style soft baggy bottoms.

The short shorts I have had for a long time... perhaps too long. These have only ever been seen by my immediate family and usually only briefly as I run for the cover of a kimono style wrap (also a favourite... wearing one now as matter of fact) or on extremely hot evenings where cooking dinner or watching TV nude would just be pushing the friendship too far. My short shorts are thread bare, the elastic peering out from the few strands of cotton that are still hanging on for dear life. I should throw them out...BUT they are SOOOooo comfy. I usually start here, with the short shorts and a singlet.






Depending on how the evening progresses with regard to temperature and comfort, I usually transition into the 3/4 pants. These denim coloured, paisley patterned friends were once my "hospital" jammies. Three surgeries later you think I would be well shod of them, however they are a perfect weight for this time of year and they represent my resilience! Sometimes the hippy pants are called for (especially if somebody unexpectedly calls in - God Forbid) They are long and "swanny" you know, like a swan, (???) and have a modicum of style about them. (Well, once did) The long harem style pants with the Aztec design are my fav's at the moment, but it really isn't cold enough to wear them. I put them on, only to take them off 20 minutes later... soon, however, they will be replaced with flannelette cow print jammies, bed socks, Ugg boots and a huge sage coloured dressing gown and if it is cold enough a velvet and fake fur hat that I affectionately call my Dr Zhivago. Bring on winter, I say.

But all is not as perfect as it would appear. During the evening my PJ's (or various layers of them), will, at some point or another be torn off in a fury of panicked urgency. It usually starts with the ceiling fans switched on, the sliding doors opened, then the doors closed,  fans off... then repeat, until its me standing, tearing madly at my jammies, wraps and whatever else is suffocating me at the time.

My husband and son don't even notice anymore. They learned early on in the piece not to question this nightly ritual of madness. Women of my age know what I am talking about! Don't speak to me and whatever you do, don't fucking touch me!!!!! Five minutes later everything is back on, I have returned to my usual lovely demeanour and there is peace in the world once more... until the next flush.

I could of course just choose one set of pyjamas to suit the current weather and hormonal conditions, but that would mean limiting myself and my creative momentum. One set of PJ's?. How ludicrous!!

I believe that life is lived in the moments, the pleasures gained from the simplest of things. To feel good, to feel joy, is our true purpose. My Jammies feel good and I feel good in them. I am achieving life's goal every day. Amen.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken free

I made an angel. Created her out of clay. Painstakingly I sculpted and moulded her. I loved her. I loved her heavy wings, they way they sheltered her and protected her heart. I loved that tiny heart, the way she looked down on to it "I will always look after you" she whispered, "you are safe".  Until the day she broke.   My son rang me on my way home. His voice was shaky, apprehensive. "Something terrible has happened" he mumbled. Moving straight into mother mode, I panicked. "What is it?? Are you ok??" "I broke her...I didn't mean to... she fell...I tried to catch her...I wasn't quick enough"  Oh My god... who?, where? What the?????? "Your angel mum... she smashed!!" The poor boy. He knew I loved her, created her, protected her. But the sense of relief was instant. Just a sculpture, not a life, a girl or an animal. Just a sculpture. It wasn't long however that the realisation of what had just

Spiral Bound

I have a collection of journals. Writing Journals. I do not collect journals; however, journals seem to collect me. It’s true I do write and yes, in journals, however on closer inspection, I own a great many empty journals. Too many. The empty journals are not lying in wait, I did not purchase them knowing that in due course, I would fill their pages with beautiful prose, witty satirical observations, or heartfelt outpourings of emotion. In fact, I did not purchase them at all. The empty journals were gifts. Gifts for a writer. Carefully selected, each one. Some leather, silk and fabric bound. Some hand made with flower pressed paper pages. Recycled, reclaimed, re-purposed. From distant shores, India, England, Thailand. Leaves of possibility, tactile and tempting. I have journals with pages illustrated with moons and mermaids, clouds and clowns, pages tied with ribbons and some with jute. All empty, too beautiful to touch, to fill. When I open their pages…words fail me

North

How is it, that strolling along on our perfect peaceful path, is so much harder than trekking backwards, uphill, blindfolded and in the rain, on some random track to nowhere?? How is it, that we know exactly what to do...but do the opposite? Why do we choose to struggle, push, and deny ourselves the simple truth of who we are? When did we decide that who we really are is not enough, not valuable and is worthless.? Worth less. When I am travelling in the right direction - my direction, I am so happy! When I am happy, I am so giving, so creative, so loving. Anything and everything is possible. Everyone I meet is an opportunity for me to share my joy, my knowledge, my heart. So why is it so hard to stay there. Why do I wander into fear, distrust and such smallness. How come I can bear down, push hard, toughen up and clench my way through self destructive jobs, self created poverty and self abusive inner talk and turn away from my light, love and freedom? Shouldn't play