Skip to main content

Silent night...Holy ***t!

Christmas is definitely upon us! It's everywhere...there is no escaping it now. Would you want to? Sometimes I would. Anyone who has been to a shopping centre has experienced "Christmas" in all it's glory or is that gory. My last visit was two days ago, hopefully my last until after it is all over.  I was in the tiniest shop you have ever seen. Truly it is literally a hole in the wall. When you are in there, you are jammed between the clothes racks and other customers. Why would I bother, you ask...well, just occasionally you find some real gems. Hidden articles of clothing like no others, but yes, you do have to fight for them, or at least the space to look for them. So on this day I felt I had the energy to be in there. I should have known better.
In comes this "woman" literally barging her way to the counter. I was close by, elbows in, searching the hangers for that bloody hidden gem! This "woman" turned to me and shouted "I'm in a hurry here!" I could feel her anger, her frustration, and something that bordered on panic, so I slowly said.....O.....K. The store person made her way to her counter where the "woman" threw an article of clothing at her screaming..."I washed this in the washing machine, just once, and it fell apart...what crap are you selling here!" The store person calmly picked up the garment, found the washing instructions, and read out "Hand wash only" followed by "I'm sorry, but there is nothing I can do about this, you really need to read these before washing anything." Red in the face, pouting and about to explode, the woman stormed out, leaving the clothing behind, only to return moments later with "I'll fix it myself!!" spittle flying, snatching the garment from the counter. To her credit the store person smiled and said "Merry Christmas!"

Half an hour later I was in Coles, almost running with my trolley through the isles, get in and get out!
I was standing choosing my eggs next to a Coles employee, Christmas carols blaring out of speakers just above us. "Do you hear Carols in your sleep, do you sing them in the shower?" I asked. He turned to me with a tired smile. "What it does, is de-sensitise you. You loose the Christmas spirit. Especially when you see the people in here, stressed and angry and the corporate giant pushing them to buy crap they don't need. And on boxing day the Hot Cross Buns will be out for Easter!"

O.....K.......

Maybe the "woman" had been to Coles before me. Maybe we have got our tinsel in a tangle. I spent the rest of the time slowly shopping, smiling and yes, singing along with the carols.

"God rest ye merry gentlemen, let nothing you dismay....."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken free

I made an angel. Created her out of clay. Painstakingly I sculpted and moulded her. I loved her. I loved her heavy wings, they way they sheltered her and protected her heart. I loved that tiny heart, the way she looked down on to it "I will always look after you" she whispered, "you are safe".  Until the day she broke.   My son rang me on my way home. His voice was shaky, apprehensive. "Something terrible has happened" he mumbled. Moving straight into mother mode, I panicked. "What is it?? Are you ok??" "I broke her...I didn't mean to... she fell...I tried to catch her...I wasn't quick enough"  Oh My god... who?, where? What the?????? "Your angel mum... she smashed!!" The poor boy. He knew I loved her, created her, protected her. But the sense of relief was instant. Just a sculpture, not a life, a girl or an animal. Just a sculpture. It wasn't long however that the realisation of what had just

Spiral Bound

I have a collection of journals. Writing Journals. I do not collect journals; however, journals seem to collect me. It’s true I do write and yes, in journals, however on closer inspection, I own a great many empty journals. Too many. The empty journals are not lying in wait, I did not purchase them knowing that in due course, I would fill their pages with beautiful prose, witty satirical observations, or heartfelt outpourings of emotion. In fact, I did not purchase them at all. The empty journals were gifts. Gifts for a writer. Carefully selected, each one. Some leather, silk and fabric bound. Some hand made with flower pressed paper pages. Recycled, reclaimed, re-purposed. From distant shores, India, England, Thailand. Leaves of possibility, tactile and tempting. I have journals with pages illustrated with moons and mermaids, clouds and clowns, pages tied with ribbons and some with jute. All empty, too beautiful to touch, to fill. When I open their pages…words fail me

North

How is it, that strolling along on our perfect peaceful path, is so much harder than trekking backwards, uphill, blindfolded and in the rain, on some random track to nowhere?? How is it, that we know exactly what to do...but do the opposite? Why do we choose to struggle, push, and deny ourselves the simple truth of who we are? When did we decide that who we really are is not enough, not valuable and is worthless.? Worth less. When I am travelling in the right direction - my direction, I am so happy! When I am happy, I am so giving, so creative, so loving. Anything and everything is possible. Everyone I meet is an opportunity for me to share my joy, my knowledge, my heart. So why is it so hard to stay there. Why do I wander into fear, distrust and such smallness. How come I can bear down, push hard, toughen up and clench my way through self destructive jobs, self created poverty and self abusive inner talk and turn away from my light, love and freedom? Shouldn't play