Skip to main content

Asana




Twelve months ago I decided to go to a yoga class. I had been to yoga before... every now and then... not consistently... just off and on, as you do.

My previous experience with yoga had been ok, I guess. Hard. Frustrating. I remember the very first class I ever attended. I was surprised at just how difficult it was. I went looking for stretching and to increase my flexibility and found that there was more muscle work than I anticipated, awkward positioning and postures I simply could not achieve. I struggled for a couple of classes and then gave up, telling myself that Yoga wasn't for me.

Years later I tried again. This time the yoga was in a gym. Upstairs away from the gym equipment but with huge glass windows that overlooked the intense exercise below. As we lay on our mats you felt the vibration and heard the doof doof of the music pulsing under us. The clang of dumbbells was ever present and the occasional groan of excessive force being thrust around below.

On stage a yoga instructor was wired for sound. Headset in place we launched into about six rounds of salute to the sun at full speed. I simply threw my body around willy nilly, desperately trying to keep up with him, not really knowing what I was doing, pushing, straining, twisting. Whilst I was aware that my first tentative steps into the world of yoga would be challenging... this was impersonal, hurried and downright dangerous. I did not return.

A few more years passed. Once again yoga called to me. Another gym. Better instructor. However I still lingered at the back of the class, unable to really perform any of the poses. I did my best. Sometimes I would just laugh. Out loud. It didn't go down well. Sometimes I would feel like crying. I would yearn for the instructor to walk past me, to check on my progress... was I doing it correctly? This was a huge class and she simply couldn't see everyone. I felt like a fish out of water.
Once again I gave up. Back to lifting weights, kettle bells, boxing. High intensity stuff.

Then cancer found me. (Or I found cancer) Yoga, Yoga, Yoga. The call was insistent. So after my first surgery or was it my second, I began to search for a yoga class that would suit me and my now brutalised (more from years of stress and aggressive exercise, than cancer) body.



Thankfully I found Iyengar Yoga.

With aching neck, stiff shoulders, sore back, one boob and countless other emotional pains I went to my first class, then my second, then my third... Finally I was home.

Iyengar Yoga is supportive yoga. Slower than some styles with focus on the alignment, sequencing and timing of the poses. For those of us with zero flexibility and even those with too much flexibility, there are bolsters, blocks, straps and blankets, all placed accordingly and individually for each person to fully experience the pose, correctly, without pain, without stress, and with total surrender.

Under the watchful and supportive gaze of my instructor/coach/mentor...Lynn, I have progressed, slowly but surely, in my yoga practice. I still can't do a forward bend. I still can't cross my legs... however every day I feel stronger, I feel happier, I have found clarity and I feel purer in same way. More authentic.

In the twelve months that I have been going to my Iyengar Yoga class I have quit my job of ten years, then quit the next one of six months! Endured another surgery (Hopefully the last!)I have sold my home, started my own business. I write frequently, feel inspired. Although sometimes I am scared as well. So much is changing. My friendships, my ideals, what I thought I wanted from life. I even recycle differently!!!



Yoga is changing me. This is the power of yoga. I know that these changes are necessary. I long for the mat now. With a daily practice and classes twice a week, I am softening, surrendering and discovering that I am not who I thought I was. I am so much more.

As I lay on that gym floor that first time, feeling out of place, feeling the vibrations from ACDC playing below, I knew I needed yoga, my soul knew I needed yoga...I just needed to find the right yoga practice... I needed to find Iyengar Yoga.

Look after the root of the tree and the fragrant flowers will grow by themselves. Look after the health of the body and the fragrance of the mind and richness of the spirit will flow. - B.K.S. Iyengar

Http://yogaspacetweedheads.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken free

I made an angel. Created her out of clay. Painstakingly I sculpted and moulded her. I loved her. I loved her heavy wings, they way they sheltered her and protected her heart. I loved that tiny heart, the way she looked down on to it "I will always look after you" she whispered, "you are safe".  Until the day she broke.   My son rang me on my way home. His voice was shaky, apprehensive. "Something terrible has happened" he mumbled. Moving straight into mother mode, I panicked. "What is it?? Are you ok??" "I broke her...I didn't mean to... she fell...I tried to catch her...I wasn't quick enough"  Oh My god... who?, where? What the?????? "Your angel mum... she smashed!!" The poor boy. He knew I loved her, created her, protected her. But the sense of relief was instant. Just a sculpture, not a life, a girl or an animal. Just a sculpture. It wasn't long however that the realisation of what had just

Spiral Bound

I have a collection of journals. Writing Journals. I do not collect journals; however, journals seem to collect me. It’s true I do write and yes, in journals, however on closer inspection, I own a great many empty journals. Too many. The empty journals are not lying in wait, I did not purchase them knowing that in due course, I would fill their pages with beautiful prose, witty satirical observations, or heartfelt outpourings of emotion. In fact, I did not purchase them at all. The empty journals were gifts. Gifts for a writer. Carefully selected, each one. Some leather, silk and fabric bound. Some hand made with flower pressed paper pages. Recycled, reclaimed, re-purposed. From distant shores, India, England, Thailand. Leaves of possibility, tactile and tempting. I have journals with pages illustrated with moons and mermaids, clouds and clowns, pages tied with ribbons and some with jute. All empty, too beautiful to touch, to fill. When I open their pages…words fail me

North

How is it, that strolling along on our perfect peaceful path, is so much harder than trekking backwards, uphill, blindfolded and in the rain, on some random track to nowhere?? How is it, that we know exactly what to do...but do the opposite? Why do we choose to struggle, push, and deny ourselves the simple truth of who we are? When did we decide that who we really are is not enough, not valuable and is worthless.? Worth less. When I am travelling in the right direction - my direction, I am so happy! When I am happy, I am so giving, so creative, so loving. Anything and everything is possible. Everyone I meet is an opportunity for me to share my joy, my knowledge, my heart. So why is it so hard to stay there. Why do I wander into fear, distrust and such smallness. How come I can bear down, push hard, toughen up and clench my way through self destructive jobs, self created poverty and self abusive inner talk and turn away from my light, love and freedom? Shouldn't play