Skip to main content

Neuralyze me


Remember the Neuralyzer from the MIB (Men In Black) movies? One zap and all memory of what just happened was erased! Zappo. Gone! No-one ran from the scene in hysterics, screaming Aliens, Aliens, we’re all going to die! No one went home and built alien proof homes or developed elaborate alien detection systems…preparing for the worst. One zap and they simply continued their day, completely unaware and at peace in the moment.


So, I have been thinking about this (and learning some stuff too). What if we couldn’t remember our past experiences? I mean really, didn’t know what we had been doing or feeling back there. What if we didn’t have any memory of our job, our finances, our likes and dis-likes?  What if we couldn’t conjure up past agreements with ourselves, ‘I’ll never do that again, I’ll be better next time, I won’t break it, drop it, lose it!” I wonder what we would do if we woke up one day with just the daylight and nothing else? How then, would our day unfold?


I then thought…because I think a lot…if we didn’t have any past stuff guiding us, would we plan for the future in a different way? Would we be worried about failing like we did last time, when we have never failed? Would the word ‘comparison’ even exist? Compared to what?  Would there be guilt, blame or judgement without a reference point? What would we do on this day, this first day in the brightness of daylight?
Would there be fear? But what if…? If our past and all past experiences have been removed, then our future is completely 100% unknown and all things are possible. The only reason we believe that there is lack, or danger, or that we have to behave, moderate or control how we act now, to “future-proof” ourselves, is because we are coming from what we have experienced of the past. What we did, how we felt and the results of our and other people’s actions back then. BUT we’ve been Neuralyzed…with no memory of back then and don’t know any of that. So what now?
Would we wake up and say to ourselves…O.K. today I’m going to go and do something that makes me feel bad, sad or mad? I’m going to live an uninspired life today even though everything is possible.  I think not.
Personally, I would do something that felt like joy, wouldn’t you? Embark on an adventure – even if it was just a walk down the street. Create something from my imagination, celebrate an idea and nurture it to fruition (without past feelings, judgements and experiences stomping all over it!) Without ‘knowing’ that I couldn’t – I would dance, sing, act, perform on stage! I would even consider stand-up comedy or perhaps spoken poetry! Whose clothes are these in my wardrobe I might ask? Not mine surely.

Comments

  1. Beautiful written.
    I live as if I have 3 days, I do what is necessary e.g. work commitments, play and hover in stillness. Balance is the key I think.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Broken free

I made an angel. Created her out of clay. Painstakingly I sculpted and moulded her. I loved her. I loved her heavy wings, they way they sheltered her and protected her heart. I loved that tiny heart, the way she looked down on to it "I will always look after you" she whispered, "you are safe".  Until the day she broke.   My son rang me on my way home. His voice was shaky, apprehensive. "Something terrible has happened" he mumbled. Moving straight into mother mode, I panicked. "What is it?? Are you ok??" "I broke her...I didn't mean to... she fell...I tried to catch her...I wasn't quick enough"  Oh My god... who?, where? What the?????? "Your angel mum... she smashed!!" The poor boy. He knew I loved her, created her, protected her. But the sense of relief was instant. Just a sculpture, not a life, a girl or an animal. Just a sculpture. It wasn't long however that the realisation of what had just

Unfamiliar Terrain

Today on my morning walk it rained. This was not a bad thing. I watched people ducking for cover; however, I like the rain. It is wet, not bad. The path takes me along the beachfront and eventually over a large headland. At one point I looked across a small beach inlet toward the headland and noticed a Pandanus tree up high, nestled into the rocks. I imagined what it would feel like to be sitting under that tree, sheltered from the rain, looking out to sea. Then it struck me…why imagine it, just climb up there and experience it! Pushing aside apprehension, ignoring my inner voice screaming at me that this is NOT something we do… I walked to the headland and climbed. Rock by rock. It was slippery and wet, I stumbled a few times, but I got there! Sitting under that Pandanus tree, (actually, hanging on for dear life) it felt just as I had imagined it, serene and simultaneously empowering! To my right the headland twisted around a corner, south to another beach. The tide was h

Spiral Bound

I have a collection of journals. Writing Journals. I do not collect journals; however, journals seem to collect me. It’s true I do write and yes, in journals, however on closer inspection, I own a great many empty journals. Too many. The empty journals are not lying in wait, I did not purchase them knowing that in due course, I would fill their pages with beautiful prose, witty satirical observations, or heartfelt outpourings of emotion. In fact, I did not purchase them at all. The empty journals were gifts. Gifts for a writer. Carefully selected, each one. Some leather, silk and fabric bound. Some hand made with flower pressed paper pages. Recycled, reclaimed, re-purposed. From distant shores, India, England, Thailand. Leaves of possibility, tactile and tempting. I have journals with pages illustrated with moons and mermaids, clouds and clowns, pages tied with ribbons and some with jute. All empty, too beautiful to touch, to fill. When I open their pages…words fail me