Skip to main content

Being there - again


For the past couple of weeks, I have been bombarded with memories from the past. Not just the odd flash of recollection but vivid moments of “being back there”. A sensory assault of smells, touch and sight. I feel everything of those moments.

I have been taken to some dark places and relived the feeling of those experiences, from so many years ago. 20, 30, 40 years ago, and I am right back there, fully in the moment.

As you know, I have been slowly increasing my Iyengar yoga practice and this may be the cause of this re-hashing of the past. Yoga does unravel you, layer after layer. At the same time, I have also been trying to re-invent myself, or rather return to myself after years of just going through the motions of my life. In any case I seem to be clearing out my mind, just like the wardrobe I cleared out last week, only without any seemingly deliberate intention.

Not all memories have been confronting, some have been joyous, all have been interesting.

A couple of days ago I found myself on the floor of my grandparents’ home. I must have been 4 or 5, maybe younger.  I felt the sun on my body as I played near the back door. I felt the carpet and saw the crockery planter that always fascinated me. This memory was so incredibly real. I could smell my grandmothers cooking and the strong smell of my grandfather’s pipe. I also remember feeling out of place. Lonely. My sisters were not there. Why was I? I had been there for days, or was it weeks? On my own. Was it a holiday?

This memory also sparked other memories from this time. There was definitely sadness and confusion surrounding this "holiday" without my sisters. I was so young, where was mum? 




As it turns out, we had all been separated (my two sisters and I) and sent to stay with relatives. Mum had had some sort of emotional breakdown. I never knew. I am the youngest and at that time no doubt would never have understood, had it been explained to me. However, my body knew. I have held that sadness, confusion and feeling of abandonment within my physical body, within my mind and in my soul. Not consciously. Not so that I felt it had any bearing on who I am today, (although it probably did on some level) but there it was and I was being shown it, feeling it again, only this time as an grown up.

Today, when these flashes of the past resurface, I am able to process them from a wiser place. I can see them through eyes of love and without judgement. I am able to forgive past hurts, to laugh at the innocent childhood folly and to cry gently, to wash clean the memories of past devastatingly painful events, the ones I  kept locked away for fear of feeling of them all over again.

They say you shouldn’t dwell in the past and to a certain degree this is true. However, I believe that it is very healing to “go there” from time to time. To look with loving eyes, to feel with an understanding and forgiving heart. Once this is done it is simply a matter of letting it go. Just let it float on down the stream, watch it go as your child self would watch a leaf simply wash away. You will be amazed how light and free this process makes you feel.

Comments

  1. Wonderful of you to share that story. The memories of childhood stay with us and need to be revisited. It's all part of healing, the happy memories and the sad.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Broken free

I made an angel. Created her out of clay. Painstakingly I sculpted and moulded her. I loved her. I loved her heavy wings, they way they sheltered her and protected her heart. I loved that tiny heart, the way she looked down on to it "I will always look after you" she whispered, "you are safe".  Until the day she broke.   My son rang me on my way home. His voice was shaky, apprehensive. "Something terrible has happened" he mumbled. Moving straight into mother mode, I panicked. "What is it?? Are you ok??" "I broke her...I didn't mean to... she fell...I tried to catch her...I wasn't quick enough"  Oh My god... who?, where? What the?????? "Your angel mum... she smashed!!" The poor boy. He knew I loved her, created her, protected her. But the sense of relief was instant. Just a sculpture, not a life, a girl or an animal. Just a sculpture. It wasn't long however that the realisation of what had just

Spiral Bound

I have a collection of journals. Writing Journals. I do not collect journals; however, journals seem to collect me. It’s true I do write and yes, in journals, however on closer inspection, I own a great many empty journals. Too many. The empty journals are not lying in wait, I did not purchase them knowing that in due course, I would fill their pages with beautiful prose, witty satirical observations, or heartfelt outpourings of emotion. In fact, I did not purchase them at all. The empty journals were gifts. Gifts for a writer. Carefully selected, each one. Some leather, silk and fabric bound. Some hand made with flower pressed paper pages. Recycled, reclaimed, re-purposed. From distant shores, India, England, Thailand. Leaves of possibility, tactile and tempting. I have journals with pages illustrated with moons and mermaids, clouds and clowns, pages tied with ribbons and some with jute. All empty, too beautiful to touch, to fill. When I open their pages…words fail me

North

How is it, that strolling along on our perfect peaceful path, is so much harder than trekking backwards, uphill, blindfolded and in the rain, on some random track to nowhere?? How is it, that we know exactly what to do...but do the opposite? Why do we choose to struggle, push, and deny ourselves the simple truth of who we are? When did we decide that who we really are is not enough, not valuable and is worthless.? Worth less. When I am travelling in the right direction - my direction, I am so happy! When I am happy, I am so giving, so creative, so loving. Anything and everything is possible. Everyone I meet is an opportunity for me to share my joy, my knowledge, my heart. So why is it so hard to stay there. Why do I wander into fear, distrust and such smallness. How come I can bear down, push hard, toughen up and clench my way through self destructive jobs, self created poverty and self abusive inner talk and turn away from my light, love and freedom? Shouldn't play