Skip to main content

Sinking


For days now, weeks maybe, I have been slowing sinking. The soft slowly moving sands of doubt, fear and guilt have been pulling me silently into the abyss. Anger and frustration have given way to uncertainty and feelings of hopelessness. What is it you want me to do? I ask outwardly and inwardly.
 

I have sacrificed. I have committed myself to a life of authenticity. This meant giving away the props and curtains of the stage I had made for myself. No more costumes to hide behind, no pretending. I would follow my heart. Truthfully. I would not work at a job I hated, just because I happened to be good at it. I would not dress in clothes that hid my personality, even though the clothes I choose are not fashionable or new. I would not do for others, simply because I felt it was my job to do so, or because that is what you do if you love someone. I would love myself first. I would take care of me the way I took care of others…unconditionally.

It felt good. No, not good…FANTASTIC! I could breathe.
 

No wonder I got cancer. The pressure of being everything to everyone. To be the best wife, mother, daughter, friend, employee. To be the caretaker, to pre-empt pitfalls and potholes for others, to keep everything in order and on track. I had no idea. I thought this was selfless and “good”, that “I was good”. I was wrong.

So I have been steering my ship in the direction of my hearts calling. There have been days when I have felt so powerful and purpose-filled that I have walked on water, divided the seas and delivered the loaves and fishes. Creative, energetic, excited and eager. So full of love and light I felt indestructible and confident that I could heal not only myself but all of humanity.

Although lately, somehow, I have run-a-ground. Come to a complete standstill on the rocky, treacherous shores of disappointment and feelings of failure. Money. Or the lack of it. Is money the root of all evil?

I sit wondering about this. How is it that doing what you love, pays so poorly? Why is it easier to follow a path that is inherently wrong? Why is it easier to work at a job that you hate, and receive a great pay, than give to the world your passion, whatever that may be? I have started applying for jobs. Jobs I can do and do well. Jobs that will kill my creativity. Stress me out. Jobs where employers will love me, my work ethic, my commitment. Jobs that are full on, heart suffocating, cancer causing. I apply and dread the phone call, knowing that I will actually get one of these jobs soon. Why is it that following this path is easier? It cannot be right. Surely not?
 

I feel like the world has it upside down, inside out and back to front.  I am only talking about the work we do for money. Life is full of so much joy and happiness. I am just finding it difficult to accept that I may need to be someone else, to curb my innate being, to go through the motions of a life less lived in order to pay the rent.

I know that this feeling will pass.  I have moments of defiance where I can feel my determination to stick at it. I am scared, however, that I will just resign myself to this numbing life, of working mindlessly for money to pay the bills.

Have you ever felt this way, or is it just me? I don’t want to give up on living my truth…but today I am sinking in the sand and just a little bit deeper than yesterday.

Comments

  1. I have felt this way and I believe it is not "just you". I gave so much to others I had to medically retire from my job. I have been blessed by the fact that I have a house mortgage free and a pension income for life. But why does our society demand we sacrifice ourselves on the altar of work? The answer I am coming to is because we have lost the spiritual connection with the nurturing Mother in us all. Put simply, that male, competitive, grasping and acquisitive side of us is the way we have built our world. We need to find a way to "work" that meets the caring, contributing and positive side of ourselves. It is possible, even in high pressure jobs, I know of people who seem to achieve it. The first step is perhaps to consider only those things you can change or adjust and try to let go the things beyond your control. I know how hard that is, but I also know it is the only way to peace.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Broken free

I made an angel. Created her out of clay. Painstakingly I sculpted and moulded her. I loved her. I loved her heavy wings, they way they sheltered her and protected her heart. I loved that tiny heart, the way she looked down on to it "I will always look after you" she whispered, "you are safe".  Until the day she broke.   My son rang me on my way home. His voice was shaky, apprehensive. "Something terrible has happened" he mumbled. Moving straight into mother mode, I panicked. "What is it?? Are you ok??" "I broke her...I didn't mean to... she fell...I tried to catch her...I wasn't quick enough"  Oh My god... who?, where? What the?????? "Your angel mum... she smashed!!" The poor boy. He knew I loved her, created her, protected her. But the sense of relief was instant. Just a sculpture, not a life, a girl or an animal. Just a sculpture. It wasn't long however that the realisation of what had just

Spiral Bound

I have a collection of journals. Writing Journals. I do not collect journals; however, journals seem to collect me. It’s true I do write and yes, in journals, however on closer inspection, I own a great many empty journals. Too many. The empty journals are not lying in wait, I did not purchase them knowing that in due course, I would fill their pages with beautiful prose, witty satirical observations, or heartfelt outpourings of emotion. In fact, I did not purchase them at all. The empty journals were gifts. Gifts for a writer. Carefully selected, each one. Some leather, silk and fabric bound. Some hand made with flower pressed paper pages. Recycled, reclaimed, re-purposed. From distant shores, India, England, Thailand. Leaves of possibility, tactile and tempting. I have journals with pages illustrated with moons and mermaids, clouds and clowns, pages tied with ribbons and some with jute. All empty, too beautiful to touch, to fill. When I open their pages…words fail me

North

How is it, that strolling along on our perfect peaceful path, is so much harder than trekking backwards, uphill, blindfolded and in the rain, on some random track to nowhere?? How is it, that we know exactly what to do...but do the opposite? Why do we choose to struggle, push, and deny ourselves the simple truth of who we are? When did we decide that who we really are is not enough, not valuable and is worthless.? Worth less. When I am travelling in the right direction - my direction, I am so happy! When I am happy, I am so giving, so creative, so loving. Anything and everything is possible. Everyone I meet is an opportunity for me to share my joy, my knowledge, my heart. So why is it so hard to stay there. Why do I wander into fear, distrust and such smallness. How come I can bear down, push hard, toughen up and clench my way through self destructive jobs, self created poverty and self abusive inner talk and turn away from my light, love and freedom? Shouldn't play